Hepatitis B Foundation

To view or print the entire Korean Chapter in English, as a single document click here.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download it here for free.

영어로 이 페이지를 인쇄하십시오 acrobat document
Print this page in English acrobat document

B형 간염의 감염

B형 간염에 걸리면 아프다고 느끼게 됩니까?

B형 간염은 처음 감염 되었을 때 대부분의 사람이 증상이 없기 때문에 침묵의 감염이라고도 불립니다. B형 간염에 처음 감염되면 우리 몸은 다양한 양상으로 반응합니다:

  • 어떤 사람은 유행성 독감이나 심한 감기로 오인되는 경미한 몸살과 같은 증세를 보입니다. (열 또는 피로감)
  • 다른 사람들은 평소보다 피곤하다고 느끼고 식욕부진이 오며 소화불량이 걸리거나 관절통이 찾아와 병원을 가게 됩니다.
  • 흔하지는 않지만 좀더 심각한 증상은 심한 오심구토, 황색의 눈과 피부 (황달이라고 함)및 배가 불러옴 등을 포함합니다; 이러한 증상은 즉각적인 의학적 주의를 요하며 그 사람은 입원이 필요할 수도 있습니다.

만일 건강이 좋지 않거나 B형 간염의 감염여부가 불확실 하다면 항상 의사와 의논하는 것이 좋습니다. 참고로 만성 B형 간염에 걸린 대부분의 사람들은 자기가 감염되었는지 조차 잘 모릅니다. 간단한 혈액 검사면 만성 B형 간염증을 쉽게 진단할 수 있습니다.

담당 의사에게 어떤 혈액검사를 해 달라고 말해야 합니까?

담당의사가 B형 간염 혈액 검사를 시행하도록 하십시오. B형 간염 혈액검사 패널을 이루는 세 가지 일반적인 검사가 있습니다. 이것은 매우 간단한 혈액 검사로써 의사의 진료실에서 바로 검사할 수 있습니다. 만일 처음으로 B형 간염에 감염 되었다고 한다면, 4에서 6주가 지나야 비로서 검사결과가 바이러스 양성으로 나타납니다. 만성B형 간염도 혈액 검사상 양성으로 나타납니다.

당신이 B형 간염에 걸렸는지 여부를 분명히 알 수 있도록 담당의사에게 혈액 검사 결과를 명확하게 설명해달라고 하십시오. B형 간염으로부터 회복되었는지 아니면 만성적으로 감염되어 있는지 여부를 확인하십시오. 담당 의사는 진단을 확정하기 위하여 6개월 이내에 혈액 검사를 다시 할 수 있습니다. 언제나 혈액검사 결과의 복사본을 요구하십시오. B형 간염 혈액검사에 대한 더 많은 정보가 필요하시면 혈액검사 페이지를 방문하십시오.

어디에 가면 검사와 예방 접종을 받을 수 있습니까?

간단한 B형 간염 검사는 당신의 가정의, 지역보건소 또는 지역사회 보건의원에 요청 할 수 있습니다. 또한 이 시기에 예방 접종 시리즈를 시작할 수 있습니다.

만일 의사를 찾는 데에 도움이 필요하거나 더 많은 정보를 원하시면, B형 간염정보 및 도움전화(1-888-888-0981) 로 전화를 걸어 주십시오. 이 전화는 무료이며 글락소 스미스 클라인사에 의해 제공되는 국립 지역사회 프로그램의 일부분입니다. 모든 정보는 영어, 중국어, 한국어 및 베트남어로 제공 됩니다.

만일 내가 B형 간염에 걸렸다면 어떤 일이 일어납니까?
성인이 처음 B형 간염 바이러스에 감염되면 당신의 신체는 일반적으로 다음 세 가지 다른 양상으로 반응합니다:

  • 회복됨 - 감염된 건강한 성인의 90%는 회복되며 6개월 이내에 바이러스를 제거해 버립니다. 혈액 검사 시 B형 간염 바이러스가 사라지고 표면항체가 형성 되어 있는 경우 이런 사람은 회복 된 것으로 간주됩니다. 이들은 더 이상 타인에게 전염성이 없습니다. 표면항체는 미래에 있을 어떠한 형태의B형 간염 감염증으로부터 그들을 보호합니다. 이들은 이미 보호되었기 때문에 예방 접종을 필요로 하지 않습니다.
  • 만성 감염 - 감염된 성인 중 10%는 6개월 후에도 바이러스를 제거 하지 못합니다. 이러한 경우 B형 간염의 만성 보균자 라고 진단 됩니다. 이것은 평생 그 사람의 혈액과 간 속에 바이러스가 머무를 가능성이 있음을 의미합니다. 만성 보균자인 사람은 타인에게 바이러스를 옮길 수 있고 생의 말기에 간 경화와 간암이 발생될 수 있는 높은 위험을 지니게 됩니다.
  • 급성 간 부전 - 감염된 성인 중 1%미만은 바이러스에 노출된 뒤 수 주 이내에 심각한 반응을 보이며 간 부전으로 사망합니다. 간 부전은 생명을 위협하기 때문에 환자는 즉각적인 의학적 치료를 받아야 합니다. 이것은 매우 드문 반응입니다.

이러한 숫자들이 실제로 의미하는 것은 무엇입니까?

당신이 방안에 앉아 있다고 상상해 보십시오. 당신 자신을 포함하여 이 방안에는 100명의 사람이 있습니다. 문이 열리고 B형 간염 바이러스가 걸어 들어와 모든 이들을 감염시킵니다. 그리곤 모두 집으로 돌아갑니다. 몇몇 사람은 몇 주동안 아플 수 있고 대부분은 그렇지 않습니다. 6개월이 지나서 모든 사람이 B형 간염 혈액검사를 받기 위해 그 방에 다시 돌아 오도록 요청 받았습니다. 6개월 전 감염 되었던 전체100명은 다음의 그룹들 중 하나에 속하게 됩니다:

  • # 90명은 회복되어 바이러스가 제거되었다는 좋은 소식을 듣게 되며 문제없이 집으로 돌아갈 수 있습니다.
  • 9 명 또는 10명은 (아마 당신 자신도 포함하여?) 6개월 이내에 바이러스를 제거할 수 없기 때문에 만성B형 바이러스 보균자로 진단됩니다. 그들은 간을 보호하기 위하여 자신의 생활 방식에 간단한 변화를 주며 사랑하는 주변사람을 혈액 검사 및 예방 접종을 시키고 좋은 의사를 찾도록 권장을 받습니다.
  • 비록 드물지만 한명은 첫번째 감염된 후 바로 B형 간염 바이러스에 위험한 반응을 보이고 사망합니다. ( 감염 후 1~2개월 이내)

유아와 어린이가 B형 간염에 걸리면 어떻게 됩니까?

한번 유아와 어린이가 B형 간염 바이러스에 노출되면 만성 B형 간염증으로 발전할 높은 위험에 처하게 됩니다. 비록 대부분의 만성 감염된 아동들이 특별한 증상을 겪진 않지만 바이러스가 일생동안 혈액과 간 속에서 머무를 가능성이 있으며, 이는 생의 말기에 간암에 걸릴 위험을 증가 시킵니다.

  • 유아 - 감염된 여성에게서 태어난 아기들 중 90%는 만성 보균자가 됩니다. 이들이 바이러스를 제거할 확률은 지 5에서10% 정도 입니다. (반면에 성인은 90%의 회복확률과 10%의 만성 감염이 될 확률을 가짐)
  • 어린이 - 다른 감염된 어린이나 어른과의 접촉을 통하여 바이러스에 노출된 어린이 중 60%는 만성 보균자가 됩니다. 이들이 가진 바이러스 제거확률은 40% 입니다.

내가 B형 간염으로부터 회복 되었는지 어떻게 알 수 있습니까?

B 형 간염으로부터의 회복여부를 확인하시려면 담당의사에게 간단한 B형 간염 혈액 검사를 해 달라고 하십시오. 혈액검사는 당신의 면역 체계가 바이러스를 제거하고 B형 간염 표면항체( Hbs Ab+ 또는 anti-HBs+)를 형성하였음을 나타낼 것입니다. 이 표면항체는 일생 동안 당신을 차후의 바이러스 접촉으로부터 보호할 것입니다. 바이러스를 완전히 제거하려면 6달 정도 걸리고 아직 타인에게 바이러스를 퍼뜨릴 수 있기 때문에, 인내심과 주의심이 요구됩니다. 그러나, 일단 혈액 검사를 통해 회복되었음이 확인 되면, 당신의 혈류 내에 더 이상 B형 간염 바이러스를 가지고 있지 않기 때문에 타인에게 감염시키지 않습니다.

감염에서 회복 된 후에도 B형 간염 예방 접종이 필요합니까?

한 번 혈액검사에서 회복된 것으로 나오면, 당신은 더 이상 예방 접종을 필요로 하지않습니다. B형 간염 표면항체는 미래의 B형 간염 감염에 대항하여 당신을 보호 할 것 입니다. 즉, 당신은 자연적으로 예방 접종 된 것입니다. 예를 들어, 만약 당신이 수두에 걸렸다가 회복된다면 당신의 신체는 장래의 수두 감염증에 대항하여 당신을 보호 하기 위하여 항체를 생산할 것 입니다.

만일 담당의사가 나를 만성보균자라고 한다면, 이는 무엇을 의미합니까?

6 개월 후에도 B형 간염 바이러스를 제거할 수 없는 사람은 만성보균자가 되었다라고 진단을 받습니다. 그 바이러스는 혈액과 간에서 머물 수 있으며 다른 사람에게 바이러스를 계속적으로 옮길 수 있습니다. 비록 많은 보균자가 건강한 삶을 오랫동안 영위할 것으로 예상된다 하더라도 생의 말기에 간 경화와 간암이 발생될 수 있는 높은 위험을 가지고 살기 때문에 최소한 1년에 1번 또는 필요하다면 그 이상의 정기적 검진을 위하여 B형 간염에 대해 잘 알고있는 의사(예: 간 전문의)를 방문하여야만 할 것입니다. 간의 건강을 보호하기 위하여 할 수 있는 간단한 생활방식의 변화가 있고 활동성 간질환의 증후를 보이는 사람들에게 도움이 되는 새로운 약물치료법이 있습니다.

만일 내가 <>만성 B형 간염에 걸렸다면 치료법은 있습니까?

만성 B형 간염 환자들을 위한 승인된 약들이 몇 개 있습니다. 이 약들은 한국에서도 구입할 수 있습니다:

  • 인터페론-알파 (Intron A)는 6개월에서 1년 동안 때로는 더 오랫동안 일 주에 서너 번씩 주사로 주입합니다. 이 약물은 독감 증세나 우울증, 그리고 두통 같은 부작용을 유발시킬 수 있습니다. 1991년 승인되었으며, 어린이와 성인용이 모두 있습니다.
  • 페그인터페론 (Pegasys) 은 1주에 한 번 맞는 주사약으로서 보통 6개월에서 1년동안 맞습니다. 이 약은 독감과 같은 증상, 우울증, 그밖에 다른 정신건강 문제들을 야기하는 부작용이 있습니다. 2005년 5월에 승인되었으며, 오직 성인들만 사용할 수 있습니다.
  • 라미부딘 에피비어-HBV (Zeffix, 또는 Heptodin) 하루에 한 번씩 최소 1년 이상 먹어야 하는 알약이며, 부작용이 거의 없습니다. 가장 염려되는 것은 치료 중 또는 치료 후에 B형 간염 바이러스 돌연변이가 생길 수 있다는 점입니다. 1998년 승인되었으며, 어린이와 성인용이 모두 있습니다.
  • 아데포비어 디피복실 (Hepsera)은 하루에 한 번씩 최소 1년 이상 먹어야 하는 알약이며 부작용이 아주 적습니다. 가장 염려되는 것은 약을 먹는 동안 신장에 문제가 생길 수 있다는 점입니다. 2002년 9월에 승인되었으며, 오직 성인용만 있습니다. 소아 임상 실험이 현재 계획 중입니다
  • 엔터카비르 (Baraclude)는 하루에 한번씩 먹는 알 약입니다. 일년까지 거의 부작용이 없습니다. 이 약은 지금까지 알려진 만성 B형 간염 치료를 위한 경구용 항바이러스제로서는 가장 강력한 것으로 알려졌습니다. 2005년 4월에 승인되었으며, 오직 성인들만 사용할 수 있습니다. 어린이들을 위한 임상실험이 계획 중에.
  • Telbivudine (Tyzeka) 는 하루에 1회 복용하는 알약으로써 부작용이 거의 없다. 2006년 10월에 승인을 받았으며, 오르지 성인만 복용 가능하다. 소야용 약은 추후에 제조될 예정이다.
  • Tenofovir (Viread) 는 2008년 8월에 성인들을 위해 승인 된 약으로 거의 부작용이 없고 적어도 일년 혹은 더 길게, 하루에 한번 복용하는 알약 입니다.

만성 B형 환자라고 모두 약물 치료를 받을 필요가 없다는 점을 알아두는 것이 중요합니다. 어떤 환자들은 정기적으로 의사의 검사만 받으면 됩니다 (최소한 1년에 일 회 이상). 간질환 증세가 있는 환자들은 약물 치료를 받으면 가장 큰 도움을 받는 수가 있습니다. 약물 치료가 도움이 될 것인지 의사와 상담을 해 보고 치료 방법들을 상의해 보십시오. 추가로, 현재 임상 실험 중이거나 연구 중인 기대되는 새로운 약들이 있습니다.

만성 B형 간염 환자들은 치료를 받건 안 받건 상관없이 정기적으로 반드시 의사를 보는 것이 매우 중요합니다!

검사와 예방 접종에 대한 정보는 어디서 더 얻을 수 있습니까?

간단한 B형 간염 검사는 당신의 가정의, 지역보건소 또는 지역사회 보건의원에 요청 할 수 있습니다. 또한 이 시기에 예방 접종 시리즈를 시작할 수 있습니다.

만 일 의사를 찾는 데에 도움이 필요하거나 더 많은 정보를 원하시면, B형 간염정보 및 도움전화(1-888-888-0981)로 전화를 걸어 주십시오. 이 전화는 무료이며 글락소 스미스 클라인사에 의해 제공되는 국립 지역사회 프로그램의 일부분입니다. 모든 정보는 영어, 중국어, 한국어 및 베트남어로 제공 됩니다. 만일 영어를 하실 수 있으시면, 215-489-4900번으로 B형 간염 재단에 연락을 주시거나 info@hepb.org 로 이메일을 보내주십시오.

 

Hepatitis B Infections

Will I feel sick if I am infected with hepatitis B?

Hepatitis B is considered a "silent infection" because most people don't have symptoms when they are first infected. When a person is first infected with hepatitis B, their bodies can react in different ways:

  • Some people who are infected may have mild flu-like symptoms (fever or fatigue) that are mistaken for the flu or a bad cold.
  • Others may go to a doctor because they feel more tired than usual, don't feel like eating, have an upset stomach, or complain about joint pain.
  • Less common but more serious symptoms include severe nausea and vomiting, yellow eyes and skin (this is called "jaundice"), and a swollen stomach; these symptoms require immediate medical attention and a person may need to be hospitalized.

It is always a good idea to talk to your doctor if you don't feel well or if you are uncertain about whether you may have been infected with hepatitis B. Most people who are infected with hepatitis B do not even know they are infected. A simple blood test can easily diagnose a hepatitis B infection.

What blood test should I ask my doctor to order?

Make sure that your doctor orders the hepatitis B blood test. There are 3 common tests that make up the hepatitis B blood test panel. This is a very simple blood test that can be taken in the doctor's office. If you think you have been newly infected with hepatitis B, it will take 4 -6 weeks before a blood test will be positive for the virus. A chronic hepatitis B infection will show up positive on a blood test as well.

Make sure your doctor clearly explains your blood test results so that you know whether you have hepatitis B or not. You want to know whether you have recovered from a hepatitis B infection or whether you have become chronically infected. Your doctor may check your blood again in 6 months to confirm your diagnosis. Always ask for a written copy of your blood tests. For more information about the hepatitis B blood tests, visit our Blood Tests page.

Where can I go to be tested and vaccinated?

You can ask your family doctor, the local health department, or community health clinic to order the simple hepatitis B blood test. You can also start the hepatitis B vaccine series.

If you need help finding a doctor or want more information, please call the HBV Information and Assistance HelpLine at 1-888-888-0981. This is a free telephone call, which is part of a national community program sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline. All information is available in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and Vietnamese.

What will happen if I am infected with hepatitis B?

When an adult is first infected with the hepatitis B virus (HBV), your body usually responds in three different ways:

  • Recovery - 90% of healthy adults who are infected will "recover" and get rid of the virus within six months. When a blood test shows that the hepatitis B virus has gone and that "surface antibodies" have been made, a person is then considered to have recovered. They are no longer contagious to others. The "surface antibodies" protect them from any future hepatitis B infections. These people do not need the vaccine since they are already protected.
  • Chronic Infections - 10% of infected adults are unable to get rid of the virus after six months. They are diagnosed as being "chronic carriers" of hepatitis B. This means that the virus can stay in their blood and liver for possibly a lifetime. People who are "chronic carriers" of HBV are able to pass the virus on to others and are at higher risk for developing cirrhosis or liver cancer later in life.
  • Acute Liver Failure - Less than 1% of infected adults can have a severe reaction and die from liver failure within several weeks after being exposed to the hepatitis B virus. Liver failure is life-threatening and a person must receive immediate medical care. This is a very rare reaction.

What do all these numbers really mean?

Imagine you are sitting in a room. There are 100 people in this room, including yourself. The door opens and the hepatitis B virus walks in and infects everyone. You all go home. Some people may feel sick in a couple of weeks, most of you will not. Six months later, everyone is asked to return to the room for a hepatitis B blood test. All 100 people who were infected 6 months ago will fall into one of the following groups:

  • 90 people will receive the good news that they have recovered and gotten rid of the virus; they can go home.
  • 9 or 10 people (maybe including yourself?) will be diagnosed as being "chronic HBV carriers" because they have been unable to get rid of the virus after six months. They are told to make simple lifestyle changes to protect their liver, to test and vaccinate their loved ones, and to find a doctor who can provide good medical care.
  • Although rare, 1 person may have a severe reaction to the hepatitis B virus and die almost immediately after first being infected (within 1 or 2 months after infection).

What happens when babies and children are infected with hepatitis B?

Babies and children are at the highest risk for developing chronic hepatitis B infections once they are exposed to the virus. Although most chronically infected children do not suffer from any symptoms, the virus can stay in their blood and liver for possibly a lifetime, which increases their risk for liver cancer later in life.

  • Babies - 90% of all babies born to infected women will become chronic carriers. They only have a 5-10% chance of getting rid of the virus (whereas adults have a 90% chance of recovering and a 10% chance of becoming chronically infected).
  • Children - 60% of young children who are exposed to HBV through contact with other infected children or adults will become chronic carriers. They have a 40% chance of getting rid of the virus.

How will I know if I have "recovered" from a hepatitis B infection?

Ask your doctor for the simple hepatitis B blood tests to find out whether you have recovered from hepatitis B. The blood tests will show that your immune system has gotten rid of the virus and produced "hepatitis B surface antibodies" (HbsAb+ or anti-HBs+). These "surface antibodies" will protect you for a lifetime from any future contact with the hepatitis B virus. It can take up to six months to get rid of the virus entirely, so be patient and careful since you may still be able to spread the virus to others. However, once your blood tests confirm that you have recovered, you cannot infect other people because you no longer have the hepatitis B virus in your bloodstream.

Do I still need the hepatitis B vaccine after I recover from an infection?

You do not need the vaccine once your blood tests show that you have recovered. The hepatitis B surface antibody will protect you against any future hepatitis B infection. You have been "naturally vaccinated". For example, if you have chicken pox and then recover, your body will make antibodies to protect you against a chicken pox infection in the future.

What does it mean if my doctor tells me that I'm a "chronic carrier"?

A person is diagnosed as a "chronic carrier" when blood tests show that they are unable to get rid of the hepatitis B virus after six months. They are still able to pass the virus on to others because it stays in their blood and liver for possibly a lifetime. Although many chronic carriers should expect to lead long healthy lives, they must be sure to see their family doctor or a "liver specialist" for regular check-ups at least once a year, or more if needed, since they live with an increased risk of developing cirrhosis or liver cancer later in life. There are simple lifestyle changes a person can make to protect the health of their liver and new drug treatments that can benefit those who show signs of active liver disease.

Is there any treatment if I have chronic hepatitis B?

There are several approved drugs in the United States for people who have chronic hepatitis B infections. These drugs are also available in Korea:

  • Interferon Alpha (Intron A) is given by injection several times a week for six months to a year, or sometimes longer. The drug can cause side effects such as flu-like symptoms, depression, and headaches. Approved 1991 and available for both children and adults.
  • Pegylated Interferon (Pegasys) is given by injection once a week usually for six months to a year. The drug can cause side effects such as flu-like symptoms and depression. Approved May 2005 and available only for adults.
  • Lamivudine (Epivir-HBV, Zeffix, or Heptodin) is a pill that is taken once a day, with few side effects, for at least one year or longer. Approved 1998 and available for both children and adults.
  • Adefovir Dipivoxil (Hepsera) is a pill taken once a day, with few side effects, for at least one year or longer. Approved September 2002 for adults. Pediatric clinical trials are in progress.
  • Entecavir (Baraclude) is a pill taken once a day, with few side effects, for at least one year or longer. Approved April 2005 for adults. Pediatric clinical trials are in progress.
  • Telbivudine (Tyzeka, Sebivo) is a pill taken once a day, with few side effects, for at least one year or longer. Approved October 2006 for adults.
  • Tenofovir (Viread) is a pill taken once a day, with few side effects, for at least one year or longer. Approved August 2008 for adults.

It is important to know, not every chronic hepatitis B patient needs to be on medication. Some patients only need to be monitored by their doctor on a regular basis (at least once a year, or more). Other patients with active signs of liver disease may benefit the most from treatment. Be sure to talk to your doctor about whether you could benefit from treatment and discuss the treatment options. In addition, there are promising new drugs in clinical trials and in the research pipeline.

It is very important that all people who have chronic hepatitis B see their doctor at least once year (or more, if needed), whether they decide to start treatment or not.

There are additional promising new drugs being tested and developed for chronic hepatitis B. Please visit the Hepatitis B Foundation's Drug Watch chart to find out more about new potential treatments. This chart is available only in English since the information changes so frequently.

Where can I get more information about testing and vaccination?

You can ask your family doctor, the local health department, or community health clinic to order the simple hepatitis B blood test. You can also start the vaccine series at this time.

If you need help finding a doctor or want more information, please call the HBV Information and Assistance HelpLine at 1-888-888-0981. This is a free telephone call, which is part of a national community program sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline. All information is available in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and Vietnamese.